rgoper

We Lost A "Member" of Our

.......family today. as most of you who know me, i live in a "one horse town" between austin, and houston, called "giddings" we refer to it (and have since high school) "where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous" i've been raising austrailian shephards since 1980, "Wieder's First Class Aussies" i've sold over 2400 pups through the years. i'm an ASCA certified breeder. back in 1989, my wife (edith) and i decided to buy one for the house, for an "inside" dog, someone to watch the house while we're gone, since there excellent watchdogs, and very terrotorial as well. for about the last year "wieder's first class Chauncey Bear" has been having trouble getting around, it's traditional that this particular breed develop displasmia, whether male or female. he had trouble getting up and down the stairs, etc...he was 14 years old, thats 98 in dog years. but we loved this dog with all of our hearts, and souls. last evening he did not "come to bed" in the corner in our master bedroom, i went to see after him, he was in my office, and couldn't get up, (he was crying, we had been giving him about 6 advils per 24 hours for pain) his hips had all they could take. these dogs are medium sized animals, about 45-50 pounds when full grown. so i literally picked him up, and carried him to his "bear bed" in our room. this morning at 07:00 we got up, and he was still in a lot of pain, and we knew the end was near for about the last year and a half or so, so you'd think this would be easy, but it isn't. i made the decision to put the love of our life to sleep, to spare him of any more humiliation, pain or suffering, but today is a holiday, i forgot about that one. i went into the pasture to dig his grave, the ground was VERY hard, pick and shovel, ALL the way. my wife comes to the field where i was and helped me, we finished (one of the hardest things i've EVER done, by the way) went back to the house and the vet, an A&M compadre came out and put bear to sleep, i had no idea how much it would hurt, none. bear went peacefully with his dignity and spirit intact. he's NEVER let another human being touch him, except family members without being muzzled, this morning when i took him out side for the last time, he walked out on his own, barely, but he did it, he sniffed the vet's leg, pissed on the front driver's tire, and we put him on the tailgate of my 1977 3/4 ton farm truck, and "let him go home" then we took him to his grave, and covered him, both of us devasted emotionally, we buried "Wieder's First Class Chauncey Bear" in a grave full of our tears. my only hope is he's chasing bunnys in heaven right now, and that he's not mad at me for letting him go. i know in the past i've made some pretty rude comments about animals, (for which i'm extremely apologetic for) but that's just the "macho" side of Richard, not wanting to "get close" to anything, so it won't hurt when he loses it. i took some jpegs of "Bear" just before the vet arrived, i'll post one, grieving still..................."Bear Dog" RIP...... 11/11/1989-05/27/2002
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I'm very sorry for your loss. Remember that you gave him a life that a lot of creatures out there aren't lucky enough to live, with a loving home, free of childish torture and meanness. They become members of our family and are often a comfort to us when people may not even notice we're hurting. They love us in an unconditional way that you'll rarely find in a human for so little in return.
He is happy now, and free of pain. It's a good thing you did. It's hard, too, of course, but it was right. It would be selfish to keep something/one we love around to ease our pain, but draw out theirs.
*hugs*
Pam
'Nuthin

A big hug to you, Richard. I know firsthand how hard it is to have to let your dog go. We lost our 14-year old Sheltie 2 months ago, and our 10-yr old German Shepherd 2 years ago to cancer...it's truly devastating and we still miss them.
Let me just say, though, that I'm sure he knew you loved him as much as he loved you & your family...that's why he took care of you all those years, protecting you, comforting you, making you laugh. And it was your turn to do the best you could for him, and you did. You did the right thing!
Blue skies to you,
Karen

thanks everybody, this really helps. i never thought losing an animal could hurt so bad. i was getting ready to head to the dz when all of this went down this morning, i didn't even mind missing diving today. (i couldn't have anyway) over the years we have sold so many of our "aussie babys" to people from as far away as oklahoma, arizona, the word gets out. i've heard of stories like mine from customers, some of them even wait 2 or 3 years before they buy another pup, because they don't want to get attached to another dog like that again. but then, oh, to see the smiles on ther're faces when they come and pick up ther're new aussie baby! :)
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I feel your pain dude, its always hard to loose some one you love even if its a dog.
I keep saying that I wont love the next one and that I wont care so much, but it never happens it always hurts to loose them, but the happiness they give you when they are around is one the best things you can have, its all in the memories.
BTW looking at the pic I see you had a great dog. Don't feel bad, sometimes we have to do things we don't want to, but its for the best, like you said, no more pain for him.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

reminds me of when we had to put thor our 12 year old White lab to sleep. We did our best to keep him comfy but it just got to the point were it would be best to stop fighting it. That was the first and only time i have seen my dad cry.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

I am crying along with you. Every day, I notice my 10 1/2 year Old English Sheepdog/mix slowly find the right way to lay down! I dread the day we have to let him go. I have done that once before with another dog, and after "Toby", I won't have another dog. It is just too hard to let them go. I really feel your loss, as I have been there and am soon to be there again. My, how we love our pets, and we should, they are part of our family! HUGS to you!!!!
J

**I am crying along with you. Every day, I notice my 10 1/2 year Old English Sheepdog/mix slowly find the right way to lay down! I dread the day we have to let him go.**
i know there just pets, but i'm astounded and overwhelmed at the amount of emotion they can draw from the human spirit. my father (ex-gi) always told me animals didn't have souls, i don't believe him. they get happy, and sad, and even get there feelings hurt when you scorn them, and they always love you back unconditionally, which tells me they in fact do have souls. and having said that, if they have souls, and a spirit, i know theres a doggy/kitty/pet heaven, there's just got to be. i can't believe you've been through this before, it really is devastating emotionally. my wife took all of his pictures down, and vacuumed the house, removed his drinking and food bowls. the house is so empty now. to all who have pets, i know you can relate, and i'm sure that your old english sheepdog is a noble animal. i'm blaming myself today, for letting bear go so long, and looking back at it in retrospect, i was being selfish, and for that, i hope he's not mad at me right now, hopefully he's chasing rabbits, or cats, or whatever it is they do in "pet heaven"
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

What you will miss most.....is his warm "hello" when you come home from being out. Oh god, it isn't easy! When I know he is suffering, we will let him go....to a better place, where all dogs/animals run free without leashes and they can have as many doggy "cookies" as they want! Ha! They really do love, unconditionally, it is wonderful.
J

I've always thought that pets, especially dogs, are more than just pets. They're souls, just like ourselves, that occupy a different vehicle than we do. I can look in my dogs' eyes and know how they feel. And they know when I'm happy, sad, sick, tired, etc.
I help sick and dying people all day long, but it really breaks my heart to see a sick animal. I can't even imagine what it feels like to have to make the decision you made. It must take a very strong person.
I hope your grief is short-lived and renewing. God bless.
Work sucks. Let's skydive!

Richard, my sympathy to you and your wife. I had to do the same with my 16 year old cat not all that long ago. Had him since he was about 6 months old and he was always the one constant in an ever changing life. Hardest thing Ive ever had to do, except for burying a human friend about a year earlier.
If youre not familar with the essay "The Rainbow Bridge", look it up on the 'net. Its appropriate.
Blue skies, warm sun, and soft grass to Wieder's First Class Chauncey Bear. May he and Bob (the cat) meet and play together till we go to join them.
JC